The weekly list of Celebrations and Concerns is at the bottom of the page. These are from Sunday worship . . .
First UMC places a high priority on prayer for our attenders and for our community. We pray weekly during the church service for all the prayer requests brought forth. During the week, a list of Joys and Concerns is listed on our website. We also have a church phone prayer chain for anyone who wants to be involved. Some people want to be alerted for prayer but may not have access to a computer. We believe prayer brings us closer together as a church family and helps carry those who have special needs during times of stress, sickness, grief, and special need. Many people report back that they have “felt” lifted up by prayers of our people. This is a way we can support one another and bring their names before God for special attention. These prayer requests go over the radio station service each week.
To become a “House of Prayer” for our community and local church family and lift up the name of Jesus.
- To involve our attendees in prayer and to encourage them to make prayer requests during worship service and by phone or email contact
- To remember to praise the Lord for answered prayers
- To pray over all ministry services and planning related to First UMC and encourage attenders to pray
- To pray for all who attend First UMC and who call it their home church
- To be a “beacon of prayer” for our community by receiving prayer requests and intentionally praying over each one
- To support and encourage community wide prayer efforts and ecumenical activities
- Church prayer chain, contact church office at (319) 334-3689
- Pray for “faith friend” each week and send note, if desired
- Prayer room open for drop-in when office open
- Pray before all ad board meetings, work groups and committee meetings
- Prayer at music rehearsals
- Participate in National Day of Prayer first Thursday of May
- Train youth to pray in Sunday School, youth groups, Bible School and After School sessions
We also have “faith friends” whereby we draw a name from a basket, if desired, and through the week we pray over those names. This may be anonymous or we may send them a card to let them know we care and are praying for them.
We have set aside a Prayer Room near the church altar where people can go and have a quiet time with the Lord. We have held prayer vigils in this room for the youth concerts, the consecration Sunday, youth classes, adult Sunday school classes, and other special events.
Committees & Music
Our committees and music practices start out with prayer and a devotion to keep our business Christ-centered. We attempt to seek God’s guidance in all the decisions the church makes to be about our Father’s business making use of His Word and direction through prayer and discussion.
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be Thy name.
Thy kingdom com, Thy will be done, On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
And forgive us our trespasses, As we also have forgiven those who trespass against us;
And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil.
For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, for ever. Amen.
Prayer Concerns for week of January 15
Church apportionments paid for 2017
School for Lay Ministry at Cornell College
Remembering Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Betty Hare thanks church for prayers after passing of her brother, Bob
Sharon Conrad following medical procedure
Sympathy to the family of John Grover
Leonard McClenathan following medical procedure
Joe and Nancy Steckelberg
Harold and Sherry Jacobs
Happy New Year!